Monday night I successfully installed iOS 7 Beta 1. To my surprise, it was relatively straightforward.
So, for all you brave iSouls out there, here is my step by step guide.
Warning: I take 0% responsibility for any issues this causes with your phone. Just needed to get that out of the way. Here. We. Go.
- First, you’ll need to determine what model of iPhone you have. See Apple’s Chart for more information.
- Once you’ve determined your model, you’ll need to download the appropriate “.ipsw” file on your computer. This is the file that contains the OS update software. Check this site out to find the appropriate file.
- Remember where you downloaded the file.
- Back up your phone. No, really. BACK UP YOUR PHONE!
- Plug your phone into the computer.
- In iTunes, click on your phone in the left navigation.
- You’ll see something similar to this:
- On a Mac, hold down the Option key and click “Check for Update”. On Windows, hold down the Shift key and click “Check for Update.”
- Browse to your “.ipsw” file and select it.
- Allow the process to run its course.
That should be it. This process may or may not work, and there are no guarantees you’ll be able to downgrade to iOS 6, so proceed at your own risk.
But, iOS 7 is pretty amazing, and in my day+ of use it seems very stable for a first beta.